Maybe you've never tried online dating before, or maybe you've done it several times before without success - no matter what your situation is, getting better at online dating is certainly not impossible! Just follow this online dating survival guide to keep yourself safe from disappointment, rejection and online scammers.
Less is always more
The first people mistake people make in online dating is thinking that quantity is more important than quality. So they sign up to several dating sites/apps and if they don't find success in the first few days, they sign up for paid services because they think they'll get better chances that way. If things still don't pan out, then they've not only wasted their time, but money as well.
The key to online dating success is to select a few, quality sites/apps that are compatible with your intentions and preferences. Nobody wants to keep tabs on several usernames and passwords, just like nobody wants to fill their phone with online dating apps they won't use a month from now. So think about what you want from a site - are you looking for love or a one-night stand? Do you have any specific racial or religious preferences? Do you want a site/app that's more casual but with lax security, or one that's more strict, but guarantees the safety of their users? By knowing what you really want, you can find success even if you join just one or two online dating sites.
Make your profile more appealing
Now that you've joined an online dating site, the first and most important thing on your to-do list is to pimp your profile. What's the point of putting yourself out there if you're not going to make the most of your opportunity? Think of it as a job interveiw - what do you put on your online dating resume to increase the chances of you getting "hired"? For helpful tips on what you should and should not put on your online dating profile, read our article on How to Make Your Dating Profile Clickable
Around 90% of people in the online dating scene are legitimate users who want to look for real love, fun flirts, friendship and other types of companionship. So what's the other 10%? Sadly, the 10% is made up of people who sign-up to online dating sites so they can scam people to either steal their identity or their money. Also, among the 90% of legitimate users, you have your fair share of liars, cheaters, psychos and manipulators. So how do you keep yourself safe from these threats? Our Staying Safe With Online Dating article will give you some valuable advice.
Plan your dates accordingly
So you've successfully found someone interesting on an online dating site, and it looks like they're into you as well. Congratulations! Now you need follow through by keeping things interesting. After a while, talking and chatting online might not be enough for your budding relationship and it's time to take the next step: Going on a real date. It's nerve-wracking: Aside from the fact that you're going on an actual date, you're going to find out if they truly are who they say they are. There's no single best approach to planning your first date - it all depends on what you and your potential match. First dates can be agreed upon by both parties, so you don't have to worry about doing the planning on your own. If you want more insight into how first dates go, you can read our post about Planning the Perfect Date.